Friday, December 10, 2010

Guatemala: Should I stay or should I go?

When I first became interested in study abroad for the ESL practicum, it was at the time when it had to be canceled because travel to the original location in Mexico had become too dangerous to attempt. Guatemala became the next choice, so I signed up to go along. I really did not know much about Guatemala, and what I read on the internet before leaving scared me silly; child abduction with intent to sell to couples in the USA looking to adopt a child. Drug trafficking, gang violence, and others made me not so sure if I really wanted to go, but I was reassured by many that this type of activity was not prevalent. Maybe on the borders, but not in Guatemala City where we would be. At that point I just shrugged my shoulders and said "what the heck, it'll be an experience!" I had no idea at that point just how much of a crazy, whirl-wind experience it would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment